Friday, February 17, 2012

Thou Shalt Not Steal.

Yesterday we went for a quick grocery trip to Bag N' Save. While in the check out line getting the groceries out of the cart onto the conveyor belt  Mack and Molly kept busy with picking things off the candy shelf that they wanted. Mack was all about the packs of gum especially the Juicy Fruit and kept saying "mmm mom I want to eat this one!" I would tell him to put it back and he would and then I found two that he had dropped on the floor and put them back. Grocery shopping can be so exhausting with children. Anyway. Once home I got the bags into the house and went back out for the children. I got Mack out of his seat and while he was walking to the house I saw a bright yellow package of gum in his coat pocket! AHHH! First thought, "I really need to take it back but I have to reload the kids and head back to the store and really it is less than a dollar." Immediately I changed my lazy thinking as I was so tired and did the right thing and made this into his first teaching/lesson on stealing. So we loaded back up in the car and I explained on the way to the store that what he had done by putting the gum in his pocket without giving the lady money was not ok and called stealing. I told him he had to return the gum and tell the clerk sorry. Surprisingly he understood the entire lesson as he was embarrassed and shy as he handed it to the lady and said sorry. On the way home I was so grateful for the opportunity to teach him and that he got the point. I told Devin what happened when he got home so that night for scripture study we read the 10 commandments and had a further lesson with Mack repeating the scriptures and telling us what happened. I am so thankful for the gospel, even though it was a no brainer of what to do it is so wonderful to know and understand important and essential values and principles and be able to instill them in our children.

1 comment:

carrie said...

Good for you ma'am! I'll bet Mack will always remember that lesson. You're a great mom!!!

Post a Comment